Sunday, July 28, 2013

DVR recorded movie ratings #15

Man, you'd figure with lack of sleep I would be posting this stuff rather sooner than later. But here goes another 5 movies:
  • Cache: French movie with subtitles. I didn't catch the first 10 minutes of the movie, so when I saw the rest of it, I thought I missed something. Well it turns out I still missed something. I'm all for movies with context clues of what's to happen or what's happened, but I don't like movies that end with unanswered questions and open to possibilities of who did what and why. I had to go online and see what else I could find out about this movie and if there were any answers to questions I had about it. Well there are, but they are all opinions. Don't get me wrong, the movie was pretty good but when I saw the credits, I was all," nooooooooooooooo, wtf? who sent those tapes? What happened to the other son? Why did the foster brother slit his throat? Was someone being threatened? and much more." This family gets anonymous calls and VHS tapes of recordings that have to do with with man's life when he was younger. Every tape provides a clue and finally it leads him to his foster brother's apartment who he had completely forgotten about. He accuses the brother of wanting to get money or something else from the family, the brother swears up and down that it wasn't him. The story continues on like for for quite some time and that's how it ends too. Lots of unanswered questions. I would have loved to give this movie 5 Daisy-girls, but I was left unsatisfied, so I'm giving it 3 Daisy-girls.
  • Felon: This movie stars Stephen Dorff (yum), Val Kilmer (SO not his Batman and Top Gun days, but more Wonderland and after days). This movie was not what I thought it was going to be about. Considering the name, I thought he was going to be sent to prison, then he escapes and is running from the cops. Noooo. Stephen's house got broken into, he ends up hitting the intruder's head with a baseball bat and he dies. Stephen gets arrested because it didn't happen INSIDE his home, but the neighbor's front yard. If he pleads guilty, he gets sentenced to 3 years in the pen and whatefer time he has served is counted for. So, he pleads guilty. At first, he is shit scared of wtf is going on in the prison, as would I. Then he gets to bunk with Val Kilmer. Love his first line toward Stephen, "Do you want to fuck or do you want to fight?" Haha. Anyway, Val kind of takes him under his wing (not his bitch) and tells him who is who in prison. So in order to survive he has to become a hardass. And a hardass he becomes, fighting with the black guys and mexican guys. Then of course, there is always a bad cop (the black dude from OZ who was the narrator) who enjoys watching the prisoners fight and even bets with the other cops on who is going to win. So, in order to reduce his sentence (since he has gotten in trouble, not his fault, and more time has been added), he has to somehow get the word out of what this bad cop is doing. He gets out and reunites with his fiancee and his kid. This movie was quite surprising and very good. I give it 5 Daisy-girls.
  • The Iron Lady: This one stars Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher. Can I say wow? I don't know much about the ex-Prime Minister, but Meryl Streep played her very well. I felt bad for her because in the end, she basically had no one by her side. She was drinking a lot, hallucinating her husband that had died a few years back, her son (who she wanted to see) was in another country and made no attempt to try and visit her. The only person she had was her daughter and even then the relationship seemed distant. The movie goes back and forth into  her past life and present life from the time she was working at her parents shop. There really isn't much else to say, except, if you haven't watched this movie, do so. Might want to have the tissue box near by. I give this movie 5 Daisy-girls.
  • Salmon Fishing In The Yemen: I remember seeing previews to this movie in the theaters and I thought, "this sounds dumb." Well here comes the lovely cable and decided to give this movie a try cause Ewan McGregor (yum!) is in it. It also stars Emily Blunt and Kristin Scott Thomas. It's basically about EXACTLY what the title says, salmon fishing in Yemen. Now, you might be thinking,"wtf? Yemen is in the fucken desert, damn, it is a desert." Well, guess what? You are correct, but it was much more than that. It was a sheiks dream to have flowing water and fishing there. There was also a storyline about love in there, and that was pretty good too. I still think the title of the movie was dumb, but it was much more than that. I recommend seeing this movie and I give it 4 Daisy-girls.
  • MirrorMask: This movie was awesome! I mean the concept, the storyline, the artistic achievement (hubby's words, not mine). This movie kinda reminded me of something Tim Burton would do, but only BETTER! It was produced by the Jim Henson Company, so that ought to tell you that it is a good movie. It had hand drawn stuff, it had CGI stuff, but it was all a bit on the dark side. I can't really go into what it's about, IMDb says : In a fantasy world of opposing kingdoms, a 15-year old girl must find the fabled MirrorMask in order to save the kingdom and get home. Find this movie and watch it now! I give it 5 Daisy-girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment