Thursday, July 11, 2013

DVR recorded movie ratings #12

Wow, oh wow! Ever since we moved and we got a movie package deal from u-verse, I have been going movie crazy. Since my last post, I have 9 other movies to review. Some were blah and others were pretty interesting. So here goes....
  • Quinceanera: I missed the first few minutes of the movie. I had seen the dvd box every time we've gone to Target, so when I saw this playing I decided to watch it. It's in English, but some Spanish. A 14 year old girl is pregnant and gets kicked out of the house by her dad, even though she claims over and over again that she did not have sex. She goes to live with her great uncle and her gay cholo cousin. Well, it turns out that she didn't have sex with her boyfriend, but I guess he jizzed on her leg or inner thigh, or right above her cooch and somehow it got in there. The boyfriend ends up dumping her, the great uncle dies, mom explains to dad what happened and she ends up having her quinceanera after all, but with a different dress. It was pretty decent, I was more interested in her gay cholo cousin. This is the first that I've seen and I wanted more storyline on him. I give this 4 Daisy- girls.
  • V/H/S: Hmm, this movie....well... it was...hmmm...I don't know. A bit odd. Some guys who record and vandalize shit get hired by some guy to go get a VHS tape from some house where an old man lives. When they get there, they find a room with a lot of televisions and a lot of tapes. Oh, and the old man is dead on the sofa. One of the guys stays in the room (WTF so?!? I mean there's a dead old man there that reaks and it's fucken creepy) to view the tapes while the others go about the house to see what else they find. There are about 4 tape stories and each one gets more and more weird. I only got creeped out by one and that's because it had to do with some kid ghost. I won't go much into detail, but one story had a succubus girl, another had some Predator-like killer in the woods, the ghost kid one, and the last one was a seance one. I actually thought it was going to be more than what it was, nothing of what I thought. I give this movie 2 Daisy-girls.
  • Carnage: Two couples get together to discuss  and clear up any confusion about their sons getting into a fight. Well, not exactly a fight, but some kid pushes the other kid and the other kid hits him in the face with a stick. Oh well kid, you get what you deserve. After the parents agree on a formal letter of what happened they decide to part ways but every time one couple was about to leave, their anger and confusion brought them back into the house. They end up talking, well more arguing about who is a better parent, who has raised their kid better, who likes animals... it goes on and on. The movie is set in a living room and it's these two couples arguing about anything that they do not see as making sense in the other couples lives. Loved Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet in it. The kids are never seen except when the incident occurred during the opening credits. Some arguments were justified while others were not. I think if I were put in that situation and that was my house, I would have kicked the other couple out a long time ago. If I was the other couple, I would have kicked them and let after I had finished barfing on their out-of-print books. I liked this movie more than expected, I give it 5 Daisy-girls.
  • Colombiana: This movie stars Zoe Saladana. When she was small her parents got kicked by some bad guys. She ran away and found her way to her grandma's and uncles house in the States. Fast forward to her being older, she wants revenge for her parents being killed. Even though her uncle showed her how to kill (because that's what she wanted to do ever since she was a little girl), her uncle didn't know that she would be going after the people who killed her parents. It was an entertaining movie, some things were a little too hard to believe. I give this movie 3 Daisy-girls.
  • Waterbone: I stumbled upon this movie late at night when I couldn't go to sleep. It had to do with someone tainting the L.A. River and people were advised to not drink or do anything with tap water, including washing your hands for 72 hours. I guess it was set sometime in the Summer because everyone was sweating. Has about 3 storylines and one of the guys goes all crazy cause he needs his water. So crazy he ends up killing for it. I mean I know we can't live without water, but I think I can manage for 3 days. There's other stuff to drink, but everyone wanted water. Oh, and for some reason, you couldn't drink beer, I don't know why, it wasn't really explained, but everything else was up for grabs since no one talked about them. Then one day it rains, and there's a newscaster talking about how they got the guy who possibly tainted the water and they don't see a terrorist relation. All of a sudden L.A. was all happy about getting their water. I love L.A. let me say it again... I LOVE L.A.! But this movie was dumb. I give it 1 Daisy-girl.
  • The Other F Word:  This movie is more of a documentary about men in punk bands that are now dads. I liked it. I knew some of them, well the bands, but it was interesting to see their view on how a dad should be with their kids. Some of them got emotional because they either grew up without a dad, or dad was abusive, or a drunk, or something else. I give this documentary 5 Daisy-girls.
  • Coco Avant Chanel: This movie stars Audrey Tautou. She plays Coco Chanel before she became Coco Chanel. It's in French with English subtitles. I don't know much about Coco Chanel the person, but if this movie is close to her real life then it was pretty damn interesting. She built a name for herself and was a very determined person. I give this movie 5 Daisy-girls.
  • The Ides Of March: I think this movie won some awards when it came out. Finally saw it and it was pretty good. Stars George Clooney, Phillip Seymore Hoffman, Marisa Tomei, Ryan Gosling and a few other big names. Political movie. Ryan works for George, then he finds out something that occurred. Sees him through a new set of eyes and Ryan then doesn't know if he should keep working for him or not. I give this movie 4 Daisy-girls.
  • Standing In The Shadows Of Motown:  Music documentary about the Funk Brothers band. They played the music for BIG names back in the day. ANyone you can think of that sang Motown music...The Supremes, Smoky Robinson, The Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas... It was a very informative and loving movie and dedication to one of America's best musicians that a lot of people did not know about. I give this 5 Daisy-girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment