Saturday, May 19, 2012

Origins of "Enfada"

       Yesterday marked the 7th year anniversary of when my husband and I first got together. It started as a long distance relationship, me being in CA and him being in MO. We made the most of what we could over chatting, webcamming ( is that even a word?), and the phone. About a year or so later,  we decided that it was time for meeting face to face. Seeing as I had more free time than he did, I went over to MO. You know how it goes...nervousness at first, then bliss of finally getting to meet and spend some time with the one person you have spend endless nights talking to over the phone or on the computer.
Fast Forward to 3 years ago...
       Well, I am bilingual (English and Spanish) and my hubby is not. I have opened the can to a lot more vocabulary than he was taught in high school. By this time, I had been living in Houston for about a year and he decided to visit me during the summer. Well, he never left and I'm thankful for that. At first I would be the one to "enfada" him, especially during the early mornings of the weekend or any chance that would have anyone in this world waking up late, but my body was saying it's "wake up time". After a while, it became a habit for me to "enfada" him any chance I got. Whether he was sleeping, showering, cooking, on the computer, or playing video games. Oh, especially while he drove! It finally got the the point when he told me that I was doing it too much. Now keep in mind, I never once used the word "enfada" so up to now, he has no idea that word even exists.
       Well, the moment came when I finally got it all out of my system and I didn't do it as much as I used to or even at all. Then the moment came.... he started to do it. At first, I thought it was cute, but after some time, I finally started saying, " Oh my good, you 'enfada' too much!" He took one look at me and was all," What the fuck did you just call me?!" I laughed and said," I didn't call you anything, it's what you are doing....bothering me." So he put it together that "enfada" = to bother.
3 years ago to present time....
       I shouldn't have exposed him to the word "enfada", because he uses it to his advantage. He won't do it while I'm sleeping or reading or showering. He'll wait until I go to the kitchen to start dinner or while I'm crocheting. He will even go as far as to say," I need to enfada you before you get started"

So there you have it folks, this whole entry is to just explain to you that enfada means to bother.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog! Best of luck with your blog; can't wait to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you. It's coming along slowly, maybe I can figure out where I am heading with this.

    ReplyDelete