Sunday, December 1, 2013

DVR recorded movie ratings #28

     For some reason from my last post to this one, it seems much longer than a month ago. Perhaps, it's because there is so much going on. I'm not talking about shopping, which we avoided the day of Thanksgiving, BUT we did go out on Black Friday and it was pretty dead. I was referring more to actually working. Yes, I may work very close to our home, but I've been busting my ass with trying to clean (yes clean) my classroom, getting some curriculum going on in the class (instead of having handwritten sheets of stuff for the students to do), and just plain trying to organize the classroom. I'm not quite completely done with how I want everything to be, but for now, what I have done will do.
     We've also been pretty busy with the community events that are going on in and around Austin (we love it!). So, now that I've had numerous days off due to Thanksgiving, I figured I should watch some movies, that and HBO/Cinemax  were free for 4 days. Go DVR Go!
  • Drive: Okay, so I must admit, this was a movie I recorded, but not from a movie channel. It was playing on the Esquire Network and I'm quite sure that I missed a lot from the movie. I'll still review it and it was pretty good. Lots of names: Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Albert Brooks, Christina Hendricks, Ron Perlman, and many others. Ryan plays a mechanic/Hollywood stunt car driver/ getaway driver. He gets involved with Carey, and her hubby who just got released from jail. Things go wrong and there is a death count which involves almost everyone. The movie is a bit quiet, not a lot of dialogue, especially between Ryan and Carey, but it works. If it ever comes out on a movie channel without commercials or it being cut, I would watch it again. I give this movie 5 Daisy-girls.
  • Identity Thief: I love me some Jason Bateman, ever since Valerie's Family/ The Hogan Family. He is turning mighty nice looking for an everyday looking type of man. Once this movie was over, I told my Hubby that this was a  good free-type movie. As in, I would not rent this movie, or go watch this at the movie. It showed on HBO or Cinemax, one of the two and I recorded it. It was pretty okay, I've seen WAY worse, but it just seemed so long. I managed to do a load and a half of laundry, eat popcorn and ice cream (not together and I am on vacation man!), go online, read info on movies, download some music and the damn movie was still on. Guess I'm not used to comedy movies being 2 hours long. Anyway, it stars Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy. It's pretty easy to see what this movie is about due to the title. She not only steals his identity, but a lot of identities. So much that she even has a credit card machine maker. Lots of fouls and comedic scenes, but just too long. I give this movie 2 Daisy-girls.
  • Little Voice: This movie was hilarious. It's about a gal (Jane Horrocks) who hardly talks and rarely ever leaves her house, which she shares with her mom (Brenda Blethyn) above their record store. Dad died some years ago and the only way this gal feels close to him is by listening to this old records (old as in 1930's and such). Anyway, the gal sings along at times and mom's date (Michael Cane) heard her and wanted in on how much he can get at his lounge for the cash cow. The mom is funny, I don't know if it has to do with her yelling, her actions, or just her attitude, but even my Hubby was laughing his ass off. So much that he even turned off the speakers on the computer while he was playing a game so he could hear the movie as I was watching it. The movie stars Ewan McGregor (yum), but he hardly has much of a role. Jane singing is all her own and she is magnificent! This movie came as quite a surprise and from time to time you need movies like that. Something to break the usual barrier of whether a movie will be good or bad. I give this movie 5 Daisy-girls.
  • Mama: I don't know if I have ever mentioned this, but every time there is a Spanish movie (not really from Spain, but Mexico and South America) playing in the theater or a movie channel, I am ALL for it. This movie, when it came out in the theater, I had been wanting to watch. It's also been on my watchlist from the time I saw the preview. I thought this was one of those oh-let's-take-a-foreign-movie-and-remake-it-with-American-actors, but it wasn't. The preview that I had seen (which caught my attention) was a very short clip of a movie that was in the making. The movie is basically about two little sisters who were abandoned by their dad (heh ya, abandoned) and were raised for the next five years by an unknown entity. The girls became feral during that time and when they were found (thanks to their uncle not giving up a search for the girls), they went to go live with the uncle and girlfriend after the court decided this would be the best choice for them. Strange stuff happens, the younger girl hardly talks, but is quick to say, "Mama." Well, it turns out that "Mama" the entity that raised the girls in the abandoned cabin in the woods, decided to invite herself along to moving in with the uncle too. Uncle gets hurt, so now the girlfriend has to raise and protect the girls from this entity that has become more violent, because she fears that the girlfriend would take the girls away from her (shown in past scenes, the entity had given birth, but her baby had been taken away from her at the nunnery. She then escapes with her baby and leaps off a cliff. Only thing is, the mom dies in the water, and the baby had hit a tree branch and died). So, she thought it was happening again. The ending gets a little iffy, but it was still a good movie. Reading more about it afterwards made it more haunting, especially the actor playing the entity/Mama and the rehearsal footage is creepy as fuck! I thought the girls were fantastic actors, the ones from the beginning of the movie (younger versions) to the girls who played the characters five years later. I give this movie 4 Daisy-girls. Almost 5, but not quite there.
  • The Condemned (Los Condenados): I saw this movie late at night when the Hubby was already asleep. I figured okay, once this movie creeps me out, I will put it on Animal Planet for a few minutes before falling asleep. That didn't happen and I watched the whole movie. Not worth the time. This movie is also Spanish, but it failed in the scary department for me. I've read about it and some reviews actually like it. I just felt there wasn't much there. There was a nice twist at the end, but other than that it didn't budge me from how I was sitting at all. Sure, the walls moved and such and you saw some shadows moving about, but nothing major. Girl takes her ailing dad back to the mansion where dad used to be a doctor caring for cancer kids. She wants to make a museum and everyone in the town does not want to take part in it. There are flashback scenes in which the doctor is talking to some moms saying that if we treat your child with this new radiation treatment, there may be side effects, but we are willing to pay you every month for the next 25 years. Of course, the parents went for it, seeing as it was in a kind of poverty area. Twist turns out that the "daughter" is not the young one we had been seeing throughout the movie, but she was an aged daughter who had repressed her memory into thinking otherwise. She had blocked off the idea that she had helped her dad (doctor) out and had been a nurse and was assisting him with the cancer kids. I give this movie 2 Daisy-girls. There wasn't much there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment