Friday, October 4, 2013

DVR recorded movie ratings #24

My time had been consumed by a show that I didn't really think I would get hooked on. People had told me it was an addicting show, and I didn't deny it or accept it, I merely took it for what it was worth. Last week, for three straight days, I saw nothing but the Breaking Bad marathon. Ya, I didn't watch the news, or other shows we recorded. If I was home, the tv was on AMC. Sure, I didn't catch all the episodes (I think I missed about 8 of them), it was either too late (4am) or too early (8am) and I was sleeping. Someone had told me why didn't I record those episodes. Well, I didn't record them because then I would probably had seen the finale sometime within the past 2 days or so. Instead, I opted not not see some episodes and somehow fill in the blanks of what was happening with the shows I did watch. Anyway, even my hubby (who didn't watch as much as I did) was swept away with what he did watch. The ending was great and sad. Never again will I do a marathon of watching a show leading up to the finale. It didn't drain me, it consumed my time and I grew to love the characters that by the time the last episode ended, I was positive there were going to be other episodes to follow. How could I not think that seeing as I had watched all 6 seasons with a 4 day span? I was used to non-stop Breaking Bad shows and when it ended, I was sad.
Then I slowly started getting into my daily routine of watching movies and watching other shows.
  • Argo: I wanted to see this movie to see why it was a big deal and won awards ( some movies that have won awards, I don't see why or how that was possible, sure some were good, but others that were nominated could have won in my opinion). It was actually a pretty decent movie. Better than I had expected. Not much of a Ben Affleck fan, but it was good. Great cast too with Alan Arkin, John Goodman, Bryan Cranston, Victor Garbo, Tate Donovan, Clea DuVall, among others. Set in 1980 during the U.S. hostage crisis in Iran, there were 6 Americans hiding. A CIA agent plots a plan to get them out of the country safe and sound by saying that they are scouting grounds to film a movie. They had to make it seem realistic that a movie was going to happen. So, the had to make a script, have some background workers, illustrations, movie posters, ads in magazines. It was a close call, but they did it. I give this movie 4 Daisy- girls.
  • Frances: Okay, when I first heard of Francis Farmer, for some reason I thought she was a fictional person. Like from a story book, you know related to Old McDonald, the one that has a farm. Little did I know this was an actress from the 1930's who lead a horrible life. All she wanted to do was act (either on Broadway or movies) and be taken seriously for her acting. But when Hollywood got a hold of her, she got rolls based on her looks. During the time she had a contract with a movie studio, she decided to take a break and go back to New York to act on stage, which she had missed. She refused and when she was threatened, she went back to Hollywood, but was treated as an outcast and she had finally had enough. She ended up slapping some lady and walked out of the set. She  was then arrested and was in court for slapping the lady. Francis wasn't putting up with that shit and through a fit in the courtroom. Then she was sent to be analyzed. And you know back then what that meant. She was stuck there for quite some time and she was drugged and given shock therapy. After a while she was released, but had to go live with her mom who had hold of how Frances ran her life. After some time, she runs away, but is caught and is sent back to her mom. Not putting up with that, mom calls the hospital, Francis and mom get into an argument and Francis walks out  to the orderlies and gets in the van. Once again, she is put through the ringer, only it got worse. She was not only drugged or given shock therapy, orderlies were raping her, or letting in military men  rape her as the orderlies held her down ( I guess anything to fuck a supposed crazy ex-starlet). There were stories that she even went through that horrendous "ice-pick" lobotomy, but supposedly there are no records of it. After about 6 years or so, she was declared sane and was released. She didn't really go back to acting, but had a show or appeared in some shows. After all this misfortune, she ended up dying of esophageal cancer in 1970. Such a sad life. I give this movie 5 Daisy-girls.
  • Roman Polanksi: Odd Man Out: This is more of a documentary and it has to do with the infamous director, writer, producer, actor, who in the 1970's drugged and raped an underage girl, then he moved to Switzerland to avoid being extradited back to the U.S. This was also the director that was married to Sharon Tate, ya the one that was murdered by the Manson people. This documentary is about him and leading up to his arrest when he decided to go to an award show in Switzerland and all the hoopla surrounding it. Everyone involved was pretty much interviewed for this, except Polanski, even the 13 year old girl (who is obviously an adult by now), her mom, and other people who knew Polanski. It was pretty detailed and well thought out. It was also very informative and no matter what he was in the wrong and he knows it. Even the girl (now woman) has asked if he can be pardoned by the president, but I don't think that happened. He shelled out money to keep her shut about it, some say he bought her out. She said it happened to her so she can do what she wants with her story, which is true. But her forgiving him for what he's done to her is different from the court deciding whether or not he is a pedophile and has to register as so is SOOOOO not the same. In the end, Switzerland decided not to send him back to the U.S. and he continues to make movies and live his life like a free man. I give this documentary 5 Daisy-girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment